Monday, November 16, 2009

My Very First Daring Bakers Challenge!

...and what a challenge it was!

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.
First of all, when did it get to be November?? Holy Mackerel!Anyway, cannoli. Apparently "cannoli" is the plural of the word "cannolo." So all these years I've been saying "cannolis" and been totally wrong. What else is new?

Anyway, these were very interesting to make, for a number of reasons. First, I didn't exactly have all the supplies I needed. We don't have a deep fryer at my house, so I was using a normal pot. Then, we only have a meat thermometer, not an oil/candy one (hint hint, Christmas!) so once the temperature got above 200, I was kind of guesstimating. Third, I don't have cannoli forms, so I was REALLY behind the proverbial 8-ball.

Nonetheless, here are how my cannoli turned out.
*Note: I am an idiot, and totally forgot to take pictures of the filled cannoli. Duh. so, no "finished product" photos this month.... sorry.*
These were chocolate cannoli disks which would be topped with mint filling. A little too minty for me, but everyone else seemed to enjoy them. The chocolate flavor was good though!


These were regular cannoli shells in the shape of little bowls (I used a mini muffin pan turned upside down and baked them instead of frying) which were filled with pumpkin filling. I thought the pumpkin filling was super delicious, and probably could've eaten them all day!

Here is my single photo of cannoli filling. Pumpkin filling with chocolate chips. Delicious!

Bon apetit!

4 comments:

Audax said...

Pumpkin filling with chocolate and chocolate cannoli shells wonderful work.

OBTW you should wait to the 27th of the month to post your completed recipe. You can post your completed recipe in the "Completed Challenge" Thread in the forum before the 27th month in you wish. There is a thread called "Clearing up the confusion of reveal dates" in the forums when the dates are in explained in detail,

Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Wic said...

congratulations to your first challenge. amazing job.

Lisa said...

Congrts on a first challenge well done, and welcome to Daring Bakers! Glad you liked the cannoli, and from what I see, it looks like it turned out lovely! Thanks for deep frying with me this month!

amber said...

What a great idea to make cannoli bowls. You definitely are a Daring Baker! Welcome aboard.