Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffins!

So this past weekend I was feeling antsy - it had snowed (!) before Halloween (!!) in Philadelphia (!!!) so I had a bit of cabin fever and decided I wanted to bake something. I carved my pumpkin, hoping to use its guts to make something delicious, until Martha Stewart luckily told me that would be a bad idea.


Since I couldn't use my pumpkin, I looked around for something else to use, and discovered a pair of Crispin apples that hadn't been used yet, along with a red delicious that had seen better days. I googled "Apple Muffin", et voila! This delicious recipe from King Arthur Flour!

Now, my mama is a big fan of King Arthur. In fact, she refuses to use any flour BUT King Arthur in her kitchen. And every time we get one of their catalogs in, I sit and drool at all of their fun little tools and delicious-looking recipes. So it was only appropriate that I should use one of their recipes to scratch my baking itch!

Nom nom nom...

Apple Cinnamon Muffins
makes 24 full muffins

Ingredients
2 c. 100% Whole Wheat Flour 
2 c. 100% White Whole Wheat Flour (King Arthur calls for 100% WHITE whole wheat flour, and then all-purpose flour. Since we only ever buy white whole wheat, and use it as all-purpose, these muffins have extra fiber. They still taste delish though, so I'm making that part of the recipe! But all-purpose works fine here!)
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 tbsp. Cinnamon (more than King Arthur calls for, but I'm a big fan of cinnamon, so use to taste!)
1 c. Butter (2 sticks) room temperature
1 c. Granulated Sugar
1 c. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten (I pretty much just broke the yolks and stirred a little until the yellow leaked out.)
2 c. Buttermilk (I just used sour milk - pour 1/8 c. white vinegar into 1 7/8 c. 2% milk, and let it sit for 5 minutes -- it works the same!)
3 Large Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (haphazardly, if you're me!)

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 450°F. Prep your muffin tins -- you can just throw some cupcake liners in them, but if you're out of them, or just lazy (like me!) you can grease and flour them. (And, if you're SUPER lazy like me, just buy a "baking" spray that has the flour and grease all in the one can for you. Easy Peasy!)

In a medium bowl, mix together your 2 flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make sure you stir them super well so the cinnamon get evenly dispersed throughout!

In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add the white sugar, and 1/2 cup of the dark brown sugar. Set the rest of the brown sugar aside for the end. Beat the butter and sugars until they're nice and fluffy. Mine didn't get fluffy, exactly, it more like finally just mixed together, which I figured was good enough.

Add the eggs, and mix until semi-combined. (You can mix all day and that butter and eggs still won't blend totally.) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and give it one more quick mix to incorporate the scraped additions.

Add the buttermilk (sour milk) slowly, on the lowest possible setting. According to King Arthur (whom I will continue to refer to as if he were a real person) if you over-mix in this step, you run the risk of curdling your mixture. I didn't really see any curdling with my sour milk, so maybe just buttermilk curdles. Anyway, if that kind of stuff makes you nervous, you can mix equal parts of the buttermilk and flour mixture in, alternating between the two.

Either way, stir the dry ingredients in on low, and then turn off the mixer. Using a spatula, gently fold the apples into the batter. (This is done exactly like it sounds. Fauna actually did it right - but DEFINITELY use the spatula!)




Using a spoon, scoop batter into each of the 24 cups, and then sprinkle the rest of the dark brown sugar on top. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 400 and bake for another 10.

Let them cool, and then dig in!







Bon appétit!

Next up: Chocolate Chip Banana-Wheat Bread

No comments: