Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana-Wheat Bread

Last night I went into the freezer for some ice cubes, and saw that I had a few frozen bananas hanging out in there. Whenever fresh bananas get a little too ripe in our house, I stick them in the freezer, to use them in the future for a delicious treat. Well, I save them up until I have enough for a recipe, and it just so happened I had 4 in there. Since I couldn't do my laundry tonight (the dryer's broken!) Banana Bread it is!



Chocolate Chip Banana-Wheat Bread
(adapted from the "Banana-Wheat Quick Bread" recipe in The Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off Cookbook, published in 1996)


Ingredients
1 c. All-Purpose Flour
3/4 c. Whole Wheat Flour
1 c. Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 c. Mashed Ripe Bananas
1/4 c. Butter, softened
2 tbsp. Orange Juice
1/4 tsp. lemon juice (I didn't have any so I just used lime juice)
1 egg
3/4 c. Chocolate Chips (supposed to be raisins, but I conveniently didn't have any on hand!)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350°. Grease and flour the bottom of your loaf pan(s). I used two, because we have a mismatched pair, but use as few or as many as you want!

In a big bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, bananas, butter, orange juice, lemon juice, and egg.

(now doesn't that just look yummy?)

Mix everything at medium speed for about 3 minutes. Lower to the lowest speed setting, and add the chocolate chips. Stir just until they're evenly dispersed.

Pour batter into your pan(s) and put them in the oven for 55 minutes. Mine only took 40 minutes, but that's also because it was in two pans. So just keep an eye on it!

Once your bread's baked, let it cool in the pan(s) for about 5 minutes, and then remove it from the pan and let it continue cooling. (Or, follow my mom's lead and eat it as soon as it cools enough to hold in your hand without burning yourself!)




Delicious! 

Bon appétit!

No comments: